Existence is a sea; man’s speech its shore;
Letters its oyster-shells, pearls of the heart’s wisdom.
With every wave a thousand pearls of price
Scattered around, of knowledge, of imagery,
New facts to grasp, conclusions fresh to draw,
A thousand waves with every breath arise,
No less is in one drop than in them all.
Wisdom, existence, doth that sea contain;
Its outward envelope is speech and sound.
Here understanding halts; and more,
Save in a parable, may not be given.
— from The Secret Garden, Mahmud Shabistari, 13th Century Persian sage
- The Bird in the HandIf you can release what is your grasp letting those cramped fingers stretch out and loose, while strained muscles relax in a soft gasp after …
- Quote of the DayWhat we think is less than what we know; What we know is less than what we love; What we love is so much less …
- Vintage Vinyl circa 1978If you thought the eight-track list was bad, check out the albums I owned in 1978-1979: The Eagles – Greatest Hits 1971-1975 The Beach Boys …
- The Bird in the Hand
Most Shared Posts
- If what is real is unseen by the eyeand what surrounds us each day is a dream;if striving is just fi0 Shares
- It’s true in companies as much as in society: evil flourishes when good people do nothing to stop0 Shares
- What is our conversation now, in this new world of selfwhere all our time and energyjust builds a cl0 Shares