Existence is a sea; man’s speech its shore;
Letters its oyster-shells, pearls of the heart’s wisdom.
With every wave a thousand pearls of price
Scattered around, of knowledge, of imagery,
New facts to grasp, conclusions fresh to draw,
A thousand waves with every breath arise,
No less is in one drop than in them all.
Wisdom, existence, doth that sea contain;
Its outward envelope is speech and sound.
Here understanding halts; and more,
Save in a parable, may not be given.
— from The Secret Garden, Mahmud Shabistari, 13th Century Persian sage
- You Can Come HomeOne winter’s night a number of years ago in Boston, I was huddled in my small studio apartment on Boylston Street near Berklee College of …
- God is a Lonely WhoreI am so in love although I have never seen; my eyes are full of things my heart denies me: colored visions wrought in the …
- A Beltane BlessingThere is a fire inside you that must not be extinguished. From the heart comes the spark that lights your life. Once gone, it can’t …
- You Can Come Home
Most Shared Posts
- What was I doing while others were sleeping? What did I dream while I seemed wide awake? Something o1 Shares
- Last year about this time I dug into nanowrimo and started writing an autobiographical novel. Sadly1 Shares