- Kris KristoffersonLight up another cigarette, crack open one more beer Let’s drink to those who lived and ended up with a career Who suffered the indignity …
- New Year’s Eve 2004I may resolve to change my ways this year, exchange old habits for ones I’ve not tried. But there’s no point in much of that, …
- Hallows 1997a remembrance The flames lick against the side of a rusted drum; Something rustles behind the apple trees, And a dog runs barking into the …
- Kris Kristofferson
Most Shared Posts
- What was I doing while others were sleeping? What did I dream while I seemed wide awake? Something o1 Shares
- Last year about this time I dug into nanowrimo and started writing an autobiographical novel. Sadly1 Shares
Tag Archives: self-pity
Always thought that I would be
important to humanity;
save the world and all that kind of stuff.
And if the end came, when it did,
I’d be right in the middle of it
Talking loud and acting kinda tough.
But that was then, and this is now,
and standing here at last, somehow,
it doesn’t seem to matter any more:
The high road’s seemed to wash away
(it wasn’t that great anyway)
and I’m not all that keen on keeping score.
Kings and pawns are all the same.
Nobody wins, it’s not a game;
No trophy case, no “win one for the team”.
And any kind of evidence
That any of it makes much sense
Is either mild psychosis or a dream.
So let the world come crashing down,
right now, while I am still around;
I knew that I would witness the demise.
And if it starts right down the block
I wouldn’t be at all too shocked;
I’ve met the perpetrators on both sides.
And when it’s over, what is left
to steal, or burn, or somehow wreck,
won’t tremble at the mention of my name,
but more than likely, for a sec,
will just breathe deep and then reflect:
the more things change, the more they stay the same.
JUL 14 2010