Not that the incredulous person doesn’t believe in anything. It’s just that he doesn’t believe in everything. Or he believes in one thing at a time. He believes a second thing only if it somehow follows from the first thing. He is nearsighted and methodical, avoiding wide horizons. If two things don’t fit, but you believe both of them, thinking that somewhere, hidden, there must be a third thing that connects them, that’s credulity.
Incredulity doesn’t kill curiosity; it encourages it. Though distrustful of logical chains of ideas, I loved the polyphony of ideas. As long as you don’t believe in them, the collision of two ideas — both false — can create a pleasing interval, a kind of diabolus in Musica. I had no respect for some ideas people were willing to stake their lives on, but two or three ideas that I did not respect might still make a nice melody. Or have a goot beat, and if it was jazz, all the better.
— Umberto Eco, from Foucault’s Pendulum
- Every Bass Player Should Know These NamesB.B. Dickerson Johnny Flippin William “Bootsy” Collins Larry Graham Donald “Duck” Dunn George Porter Jr. James “Jamie” Jamerson Verdine White Carol Kaye Add ’em to …
- 11. Live temperatelyMost people I know, when they think of temperance, imagine crowds of people, mostly women, protesting the sale and consumption of hard liquor – usually …
- No End of DaysThe world has not yet made its final twirl around a sun still managing to burn; the seasons, although changed somewhat of late, continue with …
- Every Bass Player Should Know These Names
Most Shared Posts
- Do without doing, make something from nothing; recycle, repurpose, revise on and conquer. Gather res7 Shares
- The world is broken; Cassandras have spoken their tales of woe. Let teardrops flow; and as fear grow1 Shares
- Why is the sky blue except from reflected water stretched between small bits of land? Why is water b0 Shares
- Underneath the skin, a single notion supports how life unfolds from start to end. Beneath the bustle0 Shares
- Don’t preach me religion like there’s something you can prove; being good at treading wa0 Shares